Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tuesday - Meeting of the rivers & Wal-Mart

The picture says it all
Chongqing in the background

The meeting of the 2 rivers


Tuesday was another good day. We met our group in the lobby at 9:30. Michael took us to a scenic spot where the 2 rivers of Chongqing meet. The Yangtze River is the muddy one and Jialing River is the clear one. You can see in the pictures the difference in the water.

Then was Wal-Mart. We didn't really need anything, but the other families have babies & they needed diapers & other baby things. We looked around...it was interesting. The shirts all had English writing on them, not Chinese. It is 2 stories, but not really bigger than our Wal-Mart, there just wasn't room to spread it out on one level. There's an escalator you take your basket on to go from one floor to the next. The top floor is mostly fresh foods & the bottom floor is dry grocery items, clothes & electronics. In the fresh foods section there is a huge area where you can buy fresh meat. They don't package most of their meat like we do. The raw meat was just laying in the meat cooler & everyone was touching all over it. There were whole chickens laying on ice, turtles and frogs in a tank...and they weren't meant to be pets! That part was very different from home!

We let Chloe Grace choose a DVD. They had a rack full of Disney DVD's with Chinese characters written on them. She chose Mulan. I wasn't sure if it would have subtitles or voice over, but I figured either way it would give her something different to watch & cost less than $3. Michael said they do the movies both ways, it just depends. When we got back to the room and played the movie, it has an option of English or Chinese & it is voice over, so she loved it.

Chloe Grace had a good day today. She's very attached to me and doesn't really want Steve to do much for her. He's taking it well. I told him today I wouldn't have handled it so well if things had been reversed. He's being patient & plays with her and tries to help her some. On the way back from dinner last night it was hard to let her walk and still keep up with the rest of our group. I carried her some, but my arm is so sore from hauling around this 4 year old! So I asked Steve to hold her. She wasn't happy about that. He put her on his shoulders & she patted him on the head the entire time with one hand, wanting to get down & held my hand with the other. He's very patient about it & she'll eventually come around. There were no tears at bedtime. She even took a bath before bed & let me wash her hair. Her scalp is really dry & she scratches at it a lot. Next time I wash her hair I'll try some conditioner.

Thank you all for your continued prayer on our behalf. We may still have some hard days ahead, but for now we're doing well. I can't ask for more.

Today we're meeting again at 9:30 to go to the zoo and the silk market. I'll post about those tomorrow.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Sharla M. said...

Hi Jennifer,

She is just beautiful! It's amazing how she looks more at peace with each passing day! I love the photo with ChongQing in the background...it's hard to imagine that in just 2 1/2 weeks we'll be there.

I'm so glad things are going well!

Still praying,
Sharla

Jeanette said...

It's amazing to see a Sara Beth Bow all the way in China but it's even more amazing to see a family designed by God to finally be in each other's arms!