Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fingerprints...Done!



We're sooo close to having our adoption paperwork finished! Last Saturday we received our fingerprint appointment letter in the mail from USCIS (U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services). Our appointment wasn't until August 10th....Boo! That was just too far away! I'd read on an adoption chat board that some of the immigration offices let you walk in and get it done early. For CG's adoption, we had to drive to the immigration office in San Antonio, over an hour and a half from our house. Not terribly far, but too far to attempt to walk in and be denied. Now, there's an office in Austin just down the street from the mall & shopping center I shop at often. It's on the way to work for Steve, so we decided to go down there this morning and see if they'd take us early. I explained to the officer that this was the last thing we needed to do to get our paperwork ready to send to China and asked if there was any way we could get our prints done today. She said their normal walk in day is on Wednesday, and she'd have to process everyone else with an appointment first, but if we wanted to wait she'd take us today. We were happy to wait, there weren't that many other people there. Turns out we were the 3rd and 4th ones fingerprinted and were on our way by 8:30 am (they opened at 8). When I got home I called the NBC (National Benefits Center) to find out who our case worker is and how long we're looking at between now and receiving our I-800A approval (the I-800A is an Application for Determination of Suitability to adopt a Child from a Convention Country). I had to leave him a voice mail, but he very promptly emailed me back and said he should have our prints and run the check within a few days and would issue our approval right after that. So hopefully, we'll have it by the beginning of August. Yay!!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that great news, you are almost there!! We are praying for a quick match for you guys...Have a great weekend. Kristie,Scott and Jenna

Cheri said...

Congratulations! I know that feeling all too well.

Shan said...

Hi Jen,
Thanks for the leaving a message on my blog! I looked for your email address, but I couldn't find it. Was the child you're adopting now on the agency's list that was posted? If so, can you tell me which one he/she is? I can't forget the little faces on that list! I've prayed for them to find homes, and I'm always wondering if they were adopted or not.
I hope you get there quickly to bring your daughter home.
Blessings,
Shan

Hoots Momma said...

Praise God. I found your blog through Road to Raeanna! We are waiting on our finger print appointment! I check the mail EVERY day in hopes for that little notice. We plan to walk in early too. We live in Houston. How exciting. Do you have a referral or do you have to wait for USCIS approval before you can lock a file? We have a child we wish to lock however our agency will not permit us to lock until we are USCIS approved! were on pins and needles. we've been in the process for over 2 years now. long story...